Interviewing Technical Sales Representative
A Technical Sales Representative is a specialized professional who sells technology products and services. They combine technical knowledge and sales skills to educate potential customers, generate leads, and close deals. Technical Sales Representatives play a vital role in a company’s sales, marketing, and support team in the tech industry.
Essential Skills for a Technical Sales Representative
- Strong technical knowledge of the company’s products and services
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with clients
- Problem-solving and negotiation skills
- Sales and customer service mindset
- Adaptability and ability to learn quickly
- Time management and organizational skills
Technical Sales Representative Interview Process
Round 1: Technical Screening (30 minutes) Objective: Assess basic technical understanding and sales aptitude
- Focus on the candidate’s specific knowledge of tech products/services
- Ask about their experience dealing with various technology tools
- Evaluate soft skills like communication, sales, and teamwork
- Sample Questions:
- How do you stay up-to-date with the latest technology trends in your industry?
- Explain a difficult technical concept you’ve learned recently to a non-technical person.
- Describe a time when you went the extra mile to close a sale or win a customer’s trust.
- Expectations: Basic understanding of the field, strong sales aptitude, and clear communication abilities
- Give the candidate a hypothetical product/service to sell
- Allow time for a brief research and preparation
- Conduct a presentation followed by Q&A from the interviewers
- Evaluate communication, persuasion, technical knowledge, and objection handling
- Expectations: A prepared and engaging presentation, effective persuasion skills, and solid product/service knowledge
- Create a mock situation that includes a client objection or problem
- Ask the candidate to navigate this situation and close the deal
- Evaluate their problem-solving, negotiation, and customer service skills
- Sample scenarios:
- The client is hesitant due to budget constraints.
- A client needs a solution that combines two of your products.
- A competitor’s solution is less expensive but less feature-rich.
- Expectations: A creative and client-centric approach, effective problem-solving, and persuasive negotiation
Important Notes for the Interviewer
- Focus on the candidate’s ability to adapt to rapidly changing technology
- Evaluate their cross-functional communication, since they will work with various teams
- Ask about their experience working with competitors’ products or services
- Assess their ability to handle rejection and pressure in a sales environment
In addition to evaluating a candidate’s technical knowledge and sales skills, it’s vital to assess their adaptability, resilience, and ability to communicate with various stakeholders. The interview plan above offers a structured approach to assess each candidate thoroughly, ensuring that you make the best hire for your Technical Sales Representative role at your tech company.
Trusted by 500+ customers worldwide