Interviewing Web Designer
As a Web Designer at BarRaiser, the candidate will be responsible for creating visually appealing and user-friendly website designs, focusing on a seamless user experience, incorporating various design tools and principles to enhance the overall user interaction with the website.
Skills Required for the Web Designer Role
- Proficiency in design software such as Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, and Figma
- Understanding of web design principles and user experience (UX) design
- Experience in responsive web design and mobile-first approach
- Effective communication and teamwork skills
Interview Plan for the Web Designer Role
Portfolio Review (60 minutes)Objective: Evaluate the candidate’s previous work, creativity, and adherence to design principles
- Ask the candidate to walk through their portfolio, emphasizing their role in each project and decisions made
- Expectations: Presentation of a strong, diverse portfolio that demonstrates design and UX understanding
- Examples of questions:
- What are the advantages of using CSS preprocessors like SASS or LESS?
- How do you optimize a website for different devices and screen sizes?
- Expectations: Proficient understanding of web languages and their application in web design
Design Exercise (90 minutes)Objective: Evaluate the candidate’s ability to create a visually appealing and user-centric design
- Provide the candidate with a design brief for a fictional web project, ensuring they understand the requirements and target audience
- Ask the candidate to create a wireframe or mock-up of their design
- Expectations: A well-thought-out design that adheres to design principles and demonstrates attention to UX
Behavioral and Cultural Fit Interview (30 minutes)Objective: Assess candidate’s communication skills, problem-solving abilities, and cultural fit
- Examples of questions:
- Tell us about a time when you worked within a team to solve a design problem. How did you handle disagreements or roadblocks?
- How do you stay updated with emerging web design trends and tools?
- What web design project are you most proud of and why?
- Expectations: Display of effective communication, teamwork, and adaptability to BarRaiser’s culture
Important Notes for the Interviewer
- Focus on examples in a live interview setting to ensure candidate’s understanding and practical application of design tools and principles
- Consider any restrictions, such as NDAs, that may limit the candidate’s portfolio presentation
- Give importance to the candidate’s thought process and approach to problem-solving, aside from their technical skills
Trusted by 500+ customers worldwide